NativeScript cheatsheet and notes

Just starting off with a NativeScript application and the documentation is all over the place. So this is a place for my notes and kind of a cheat sheet while I’m learning the system. (As I start this, nativescript is at 1.6.2) Continue reading NativeScript cheatsheet and notes

Let’s Encrypt and let’s go

Last week saw the start of the Public Beta period for Let’s Encrypt and the start of a more secure internet for all. For free. The project has been in development for at least a year, was due in the summer and has just now finally been cleared for public usage. This is something of a game changing moment but not something the public is aware of. It means that any site that wants to have that little green padlock up in the location bar can now easily install one. And given that Google (and presumably other search engines) are starting to penalise sites that are not running over HTTPS, this will become a greater issue over time. I decided to try it out on a few domains… Continue reading Let’s Encrypt and let’s go

Linux email clients, a quick overview

A review of various Linux email clients:

  • Thunderbird
  • Evolution
  • Geary
  • Sylpheed
  • Claws Mail
  • Balsa
  • Trojita
  • Mulberry (last update 2007)
  • Spicebird (discontinued)
Continue reading Linux email clients, a quick overview

Setting up a basic Meteor framework

Once you’ve worked through a few Meteor tutorials and simple apps, there comes the time to create your very own killer app!

But where to start? There is a lot to be said for creating the app from scratch and that is definitely a valid starting point. There is still the question as to what is the best practise for file and folder layout and where to put what. I did a bit of surfing and here are some notes on what I found. [Updated 16/06/15 to include Iron Meteor]

Continue reading Setting up a basic Meteor framework

Getting started with Meteor

These are some notes I’ve made while following through the Meteor tutorial (which is the simple to do list). This is more so that I can remember the overview of the basic process rather than a general set of instructions. If you want to learn Meteor, then this tutorial is an excellent, 1 hour overview of how simple it can be. Including deploying it to the cloud! Continue reading Getting started with Meteor

Drupal malware – Farbtastic exploit, only in Google

I was contacted by a client last night, very concerned because, when you enter his site into Google, it comes back with a warning that ‘This site has been hacked’. And yet, when the site is viewed in the browser, there is no sign of any bad links or anything. What can be happening? Why does Google think the site is hacked?

I took a look at the site and he was correct, there was no sign of any bad links, and yet in Google there was a couple of pages of links to various pharmacy products. Which when clicked on led to a 404 page not found error. But when I asked Google for the cached version, there the links were, proudly displayed at the top of the page, bold as can be.

Continue reading Drupal malware – Farbtastic exploit, only in Google

Preventing WordPress BFL/DDOS attacks

I host a lot of WordPress sites and a common problem is the Brute Force Login attack, which could also be classed as a DDOS attack as it can overload the server or drive MySQL beyond it’s limits. I’ve taken to using an .htaccess section to mitigate this and it’s quite successful so far, although with some small limitations. Continue reading Preventing WordPress BFL/DDOS attacks

A new dual sim smartphone: Xiaomi Hungmi

I travel a lot and it’s always a hassle changing out the SIMs whenever I need to check for calls and messages. A friend of mine, in a similar situation, brought a nice dual HTC SIM phone although he had to order it from Dubhai and it was £500. That’s a bit steep I thought… and decided to see what else might be available in my price bracket.


Continue reading A new dual sim smartphone: Xiaomi Hungmi

Setting up a cPanel server without a website account

So, I get a brand spanking new server in my server cluster, lets say it’s and I want to have the same reseller name as I’ve got on the other servers. But, I can’t add the domain as an account and I don’t want to. I just want a system user… Continue reading Setting up a cPanel server without a website account

Ubuntu upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

I’ve recently upgraded my Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, using the release upgrade tool. Normally I would do a clean installation, especially with a major release upgrade like this. But I heard good things from others in doing an in-place upgrade so went with that. Reinstalling packages and setting them up again is time consuming. Anyway, all went well with only a few gotcha’s on the way. I’ve listed them below. Continue reading Ubuntu upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

the codeworks weblog